Food Development Manager: Alshaya Group
- The Master Baker enhances and develops existing and future menu and product lines of Alshaya Food Division’s various brands and external customer’s base.
- Combine innovation, creative ideas and exceptional kitchen capabilities in developing products with commercial understanding of what will be profitable to the business and the customer / end customer.
The MB operates within a manufacturing environment where continuous improvement and close contact with brands is essential to ensure successful growth and development in both sides.
The MB has the responsibility to:
- Manage the development of products from idea generation to distribution in the market place;
- Evaluate opportunities within the market and based on product portfolio to develop new concepts;
- Oversee coordination of concept art and sample creation, securing approvals during the process and finalizing all products and packaging prior to launch.
- Manage and maintain a range of documentation: products’ brief, costing, assembly manual, product specifications, etc.;
- Communicate with brands the different stages of product development and length of the process;
- To ensure the consistency in food quality meets or exceeds brand’s standards of excellence;
- Manage multiple projects within established timelines.
Brands and People Management & Development
- Ensure communication between brand and Alshaya Food regarding new product development and consider and represent the best interest of both sides;
- Ensure all duties are carried out in line with brand mission statements, company policies and procedures, contracts and market guidelines;
- Ensure that Production Managers are informed on new brand’s standards, requirements, policies, and products characteristics;
- Identify core training / competency requirements for production pre-launch;
- Cascade trainings regarding necessary skills to perform at the highest possible standards;
- Ensure trainings are executed and documented to guarantee a smooth product(s) launch.
Current Products Improvement
- Assess performance of the different areas of the production floor and identify where new processes can be elaborated for product development;
- Optimize production by analysing and identifying process conditions;
- Search / evaluate new ingredients in order to improve the cost and / or quality of the products;
- Have an awareness of daily service levels for all area and a plan to achieve required service levels within the agreed timeframe;
- Ensure technical improvement when necessary;
- Review menu production schedules with the brand considering seasonal options, promotional menus, and assure appropriate recipes, variety and quantity of food;
- Drive costs savings through efficient use of resources at disposal and coordinate food procurement to gain economies of scale;
- Understand the control of costs and overhead expenditure in line with budgetary targets.
New Products Development
- Identify new opportunities, whilst applying market knowledge to evaluate the commercial viability of new products and ensuring it is of value for the business;
- Actively participate in strategic product and process planning by continuously scanning the external environment for new product and process technologies;
- Cultivate a strong relationship with retail customers to ensure company stays ahead of competitors;
- Design, install and commission new production plant;
- Provide solution for environmental and food safety considerations, especially in production line design;
- Assess product feasibility at a manufacturing level;
- Provide guidance in the delivery of any new project;
- Write recipes and procedures for new products or reformulate current products;
- Liaise with QA to ensure compliance with policies and safety procedures;
- Ensure culinary execution is consistent with branding elements of each new product created;
- Ensure successful product introduction and tastings: NPD team and brands to feedback and agree on actions to be taken to improve products and meet brand (market) needs;
- Ensure site holds the necessary equipment and structure for the development and production of goods;
- Ensure the required approvals and documentation are obtained;
- Develop and standardize operating procedures for kitchen operations across all brands;
- Ensure project is feasible and meets the deadlines;
- Oversee the launch of new products;
- Assist in the post-launch analysis phase.
- Track effects of improvement projects and report on progress;
- Carry out equipment and material trials and ensure all settings and procedures are documented in accordance with site and brand procedures;
- Maintain and improve current knowledge of any new industry, products, innovations, techniques and equipment development;
- Ensure awareness of the competition;
- Carry out ideation sessions to generate new concept products in line with brand.
- Standardize and oversee the menu and recipe development in brands where there is no host brand mandate;
- Monitor standards and specific brand requirement compliance;
- Ensure all culinary standards in all sections comply with company policies and procedures and are stated in the department work instructions.
- Evaluate across both sites any adjustments to be done in terms of ingredients and production processes to ensure consistent quality of products.
Health & Safety
- Ensures all hazards have been assessed with completion of risk assessments;
- Establish food processes for teams that are safe and that do not jeopardize quality of products;
- Ensure all Health and Safety / Food Hygiene guidelines are adhered to.
- Work Closely with the SBX Food team in taking briefs to launch.
- Attend weekly NPD meeting and contribute with any adjustments or additional information needed
- Review improvement project process weekly;
- Liaise daily/hourly with colleagues within and across function regarding planning/production matters;
- Work closely with support functions (QA, QC, Marketing, Logistics, Maintenance) so as to identify resources and support required in launching new products;
- Effect a detailed shift handover with designated deputy in the case of absence.
- Maintain clear records of each brands know-how by establishing the particular food offer and the best practice;
- Assisting in the budget setting, including food cost, kitchen manning and kitchen investment for each site.
Reporting to Senior Food Development Manager.
Communicate effectively and confidently with:
- Good In / Dispatch Team
- Maintenance Team
- Hygiene Team
- QC Team
- Site Management Team
- Brand Ambassadors in Head Office
Maintain effective professional communication with:
- Alshaya Brands
- Suppliers and third party manufacturers
- Service providers and equipment contractors
Responsible for functional budget, including :
- Any other budgeted figures to agreed amount
- Can stop/change work activities which constitute a significant risk to safety of the person, environment, plant or product safety/quality, or if not complying with brand standards;
- Responsible at all times for ensuring optimum customer service in terms of quality, quantity and punctuality;
- Responsible to ensure a attainable new production development and launch, in terms of labour, time frame and budget.
- Issues that would alter company practices or policies
- Expenditure above agreed budget
Other Qualifications / Experience
Skills and Knowledge
Interested applicants should send their notification of interest and CV to email@example.com.
To search this job and thousands more, create your free Worldchefs online account!
Want to post a job with Worldchefs? Get in touch!